Let’s face it: life can be tough for a gay man. We have the usual stressors of life and work and family, but piled on top is discrimination, bigotry, and unequal laws. Sounds like oodles of fun, right? It can be enough to make any guy feel a little depressed. But when you feel that way, it’s helpful to remember the good stuff out there and that there are plenty of people in your corner. There’s no need to feel alone! And if you don’t believe us, take a look at our favorite 10 quotes that help make any gay man feel less alone.
1. “I’m a supporter of gay rights. And not a closet supporter either. From the time I was a kid, I have never been able to understand attacks upon the gay community. There are so many qualities that make up a human being… by the time I get through with all the things that I really admire about people, what they do with their private parts is probably so low on the list that it is irrelevant.”
There’s nothing like a good, ol’ actor to set the record straight on what makes a person a person.
2. “If a couple of gay guys want to throw the gayest, most fabulous wedding of all time, the only way it should offend you is if you weren’t invited.”
Orlando gives excellent insight on why equal marriage has yet to become a worldwide thing: boring people would never get to go!
3. “If homosexuality is a disease, let’s all call in queer to work: ‘Hello. Can’t work today. Still queer.’”
And as Robin points out, why not use bigotry to our advantage?
4. “I have to wonder at what point the people fighting to protect marriage will realize that traditional couples haven’t exactly been doing too good a job of it so far.”
With over half of all different-sex marriages ending in divorce, Dan helps make you wonder what kind of sanctity the straight community is worrying over.
5. “Really, darling, it’s a no-brainer. You know, I understand not everybody is for gay marriage. But if you’re not for gay marriage, don’t marry a gay person. That’s what I say.”
Whoopi makes the great point as to why people on a diet would try to stop other people from eating cookies.
6. “In itself, homosexuality is as limiting as heterosexuality: the ideal should be to be capable of loving a woman or a man; either, a human being, without feeling fear, restraint, or obligation.”
-Simone de Beauvoir
Simone leaves us with the important message that sexual orientation isn’t just about being straight or gay. It’s about loving people regardless of their bodies or identities. There are so many orientations out there!
7. “The world is not divided into sheep and goats. Not all things are black nor all things white. It is a fundamental of taxonomy that nature rarely deals with discrete categories. Only the human mind invents categories and tries to force facts into separated pigeon-holes. The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its aspects. The sooner we learn this concerning sexual behavior the sooner we shall reach a sound understanding of the realities of sex.”
The late and great sex researcher backs Simone’s statement with an added emphasis to explore the gray areas of our lives.
8. “It always seemed to me a bit pointless to disapprove of homosexuality. It’s like disapproving of rain.”
Good on your, Francis! There isn’t exactly much someone can do about something as natural as love.
9. “Everybody’s journey is individual. If you fall in love with a boy, you fall in love with a boy. The fact that many Americans consider it a disease says more about them than it does about homosexuality.”
James can’t help but point out the classic bully mentality of the world’s bigots.
10. “Homosexuality is God’s way of insuring that the truly gifted aren’t burdened with children.”
Okay, so some same-sex couples do go ahead and raise children, but this is still pretty funny!
So have these quotes brightened your day? What other quotes work well for you when you’re feeling down? Tell us in the comments below!